In its early history all Lutheran
congregations in Wythe County had been established in the eighteenth
century. A plateau had been reached and the German congregations
organized prior to 1800 were entrenched and satisfied. When Jacob
Scherer arrived in 1827, he brought with him a new missionary zeal and
spirit. He became aware of the places where Germans had gathered but no
congregation was there to serve them. During the course of his work in
Wythe County, three additional congregations were established and
deserve mention here.
(7.4) St Peter's Lutheran Church on Cripple Creek: church homecoming
1906. (Photo courtesy of Peggy Cline)
St Peter's Lutheran Church 1830
One of Jacob Scherer's early efforts resulted
in the organization of St. Peter's Lutheran Church on Cripple Creek in
1830. Some of the members of Zion Church, living east of the church,
expressed the desire to have a congregation closer to where they lived.
Pastor Scherer petitioned the North Carolina Synod for a new
congregation on Cripple Creek and the request was readily approved.
The congregation, which adopted the name of
St. Peter's Lutheran Church, was organized in 1830. The land on which
the church was erected was a gift from Adam and Susanna (Spraker)
Rosenbaum. The church structure, which was built several years later
boasted of an elevated pulpit in front of the nave and a gallery in the
The last meeting of the North Carolina Synod
to be held in Virginia convened at St. Peter's Church in 1841, just one
year prior to the organization of the Synod of Southwestern Virginia.
Jacob Scherer served the new congregation for ten years, after which he
was followed by his son, Gideon Scherer, who served for two years.
Several years after returning from Seminary, the Reverend James A.
Brown, became the pastor of St. Peter's and served there for a number
of years, off and on, until 1882.
St. Peter's Church continued with a slow
growth and was instrumental in organizing and providing the charter
members for Bethany Church in 1904. St. Peter's continued its existence
until it merged with Bethany Church and Rosenbaum's Chapel into a
united congregation in 1974.
from "Beside the Still Waters", 1998, pp. 139-140 Author, Roger S. Kluttz
Interns St. Peter's Church -1830
Andrew Brown 1846-1865
Andrew Brown 1868-1882
Spangler Fox 1895-1898
M. Fox 1899-1902
Yonce Umberger 1902-1906
Spangler Fox 1906-1915
Yonce Umberger 1915-1917
David Huddle 1930-1938
Tober (Supply) 1956-1965
Booze 1961 -1963
(In 1974 St. Peter's merged with Bethany and Rosenbaum Chapel to form
United Lutheran )